About this blog

This blog is an assignment for my Advanced News and Feature Writing class at the University of Northern Colorado. In this class I cover a beat on the University Program Council. The UPC is a student led group that uses student fees to bring entertainment in the form of speakers, concerts, comedians etc. to campus.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Feature Writing 101

Completing my day-in-the-life story for Advanced News and Feature Writing was a challenging experience that came with many difficulties and learning experiences.

While editing other student's stories, I realized that my story lacked the banter of observed quotes that went on during the actual event. This would have added greater detail to my story and brought it more to life.

Other than this mistake, the reporting was easy. I enjoyed attending the event and doing interviews with sources gets easier and easier the more I do it. I also enjoyed being able to use observations of the people, setting and attitude as detail in the story.

In this kind of feature writing there is a balance between details and conciseness that must be found in order to make the story interesting but readable as well. I think my story does a nice job of this, but as I said before, more quotes of what people said during the event rather than in interviews after the fact would have been better.

Overall, this assignment was a success. Even with the difficulties I encountered I believe the story turned out well and I will be able to use what I learned for the next assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment