About this blog

This blog is an assignment for my Advanced News and Feature Writing class at the University of Northern Colorado. In this class I cover a beat on the University Program Council. The UPC is a student led group that uses student fees to bring entertainment in the form of speakers, concerts, comedians etc. to campus.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blogging...This is something new

This is my first experience with blogging. As with all new endeavors, there is a certain amount of uncertainty. Blogging can be a great tool to develop skills as a writer by having people comment and criticize your work in a less formal forum than that of print. The purpose of this blog is to gain familiarity and experience with this form of new media and to use blogging as a tool become a better journalist.

I have several years of experience working as a student journalist. I started in high school, writing a few articles for The Warrior over the four years I was at Grand Junction Central. Although I enjoy writing, my main passion is photojournalism. As a sophomore at UNC, I started working as a staff photographer at The Mirror. I covered all kinds of events, including news and the arts, but I quickly developed a knack for sports photography. The following year I took over as the photo editor and continued to hone my skills as a photojournalist. Last year I had the opportunity to cover several big events, including campaign stops by president Barack Obama and Joe Biden. This year, I have returned to my position as a staff photographer. I have also started an internship with the UNC athletic department in media relations. This, along with opportunities in class, has allowed me to begin developing as a writer.

For my Advanced News and Feature Writing class, I am covering a beat on the University Program Council. By covering this beat I hope to develop my skills as a reporter by writing frequently and practicing my interviewing technique. I have never covered a beat before so it will be a new experience for me.

I have several strengths as a journalist. Working as a photographer and then moving in to writing has been an advantage for me. Many people might think they are two very different jobs, but they have much in common. As a photographer you have to tell a story with a picture and a caption. Clarity and conciseness are key elements of writing. Working as a photographer has afforded me the ability to be clear and concise in my writing. With strengths comes weakness as well. I am a terrible proofreader and no one in their right mind would hire me as a copy editor. Like photojournalism, I am developing a passion for writing as well. I like attending events and talking to people about what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment