About this blog

This blog is an assignment for my Advanced News and Feature Writing class at the University of Northern Colorado. In this class I cover a beat on the University Program Council. The UPC is a student led group that uses student fees to bring entertainment in the form of speakers, concerts, comedians etc. to campus.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

That's a wrap...

I came to UNC to become a teacher. I loved history, and I thought the best way to harness my passion was to share it with students. However, shortly before beginning the education program, I realized that was not what I wanted to do.

Another passion I had when I entered college was photography, but I did not know how harness this passion. One day I was reading The Mirror and saw a job posting for staff photographers. I immediately went to apply.

After a few months as a photographer, I was becoming increasingly intrigued with journalism. I loved it. With my new found enjoyment for journalism and an academic void created by dropping the education program, I decided to double major. I still loved history, so I continued with that, but I added journalism as my second major.

Journalism was a nice compliment to history. Between history and journalism, I was writing all the time, getting better and better. However, I am a photographer. Writing was surely not my strong suit. I had to work hard at learning to write as a journalist.

My experience as a journalism student has been good. I have developed as both a writer and a photographer. Even though they are two different aspects of the journalism, I feel that they complement each other well. One thing I wish the JMC program offered are more advanced photography classes geared toward journalism.

Overall, I think my experience as a journalist has made me a better writer and a more informed person. I hope to use my skills as a journalist in whatever my future endeavors may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment